Sunday 9 November 2008

Sexyloops Flyswap 2009

I've just entered my first fly swap. The idea's simple enough, a set number of tiers (40 in this case) each tie a set number of identical flies and then each contributor receives one of each submission. Deadline in this case is 14th February 2009.

This is quite an undertaking for me, in terms of time and materials. With eight down, and 32 to go there remains much to do, but I've started early and will be done in advance of Christmas.
I started by preparing most of the materials, enough to tie the first half any how. I've to order extra turkey biot and another box of hooks, but the plan is going well so far.


Another issue is fly selection. There is a broad range of tiers and fishers involved, so I decided my usual style of small, simple stuff may not actually be that useful to most contributors, and I want every contributor to catch fish with my submission. So I've begun tying forty #16 Klinkhammers, each with a mylar ribbed, turkey biot body - a proven fish taker. The addition of a mylar rib adds another 45 seconds to each fly, but the effect is worth it. Peacock glister dubbing also provides a resilient thorax so each fly can take more than one fish. Size 16 is probably a mid-range size for many, small for some and massive by my fishing standards.

The recipe is:

Hook: Partidge 15BN Klinkhammer size 16
Thread: Uni-thread 6/0 olive
Body: Natural turkey biot
Rib: Micro crystal flash (unwind as you wrap to make flay)
Thorax: Peacock glister dubbing
Wing-post: Niche Products siliconised polypropylene yarn (grey)
Hackle: Metz #2 saddle, grizzly



I'm looking forward to seeing what Roy Christie and Marc Fauvet submit.

I'll post another picture when I'm all done...

No comments: